- A Photo Blog Can Solve Many Problems
- Working with Posts in WordPress
- Adding an Image to Your Post
- Adding Categories & Tags, and Changing Your Publishing Status
- Adding a Gallery of Images to Your Post
- Adding an Animoto Slide Show
- Some Housekeeping Notes on Categories, Tags & Images
- Working with Pages Inside of WordPress
Adding a Gallery of Images to Your Post
One image is nice inside of a post, but what if you want to talk about a photo shoot that you did with a client? Chances are you’re going to want to show a series of images in one post. Let’s talk a little bit about how to get a gallery up inside of your post. In a later chapter, I’ll show you how to take this gallery functionality and make it look awesome!
- Step One: Once you have the series of images you would like to add to the gallery you’re going to post, go back to your post in WordPress, and click on the Add an Image icon above the formatting buttons. In the Add an Image dialog, click the Select Files button, navigate to the folder of images you want to use, and press Ctrl-A (Mac: Command-A). This will select all of the images in that folder. Click the Open (Mac: Select) button to upload these images.
- Step Two: Once all of the images have been uploaded, if you want to add information to an image, click the Show link to the right of the image. When you’re done, click the Save All Changes button at the bottom of the dialog.
- Step Three: When you upload multiple images into a post they’ll appear in a grid, and you can choose how you want that grid of images to appear on the page. The Gallery Settings options, at the bottom of the Add an Image dialog’s Gallery tab, show how the images can be ordered and, from the Gallery Columns pop-up menu, you can set the number of columns you want. Once you’re done, click the Insert Gallery button. Note: Whenever you upload images to a post, they are added to your Media Library (which holds all of the images you’ve uploaded) and collected in a gallery. At any time, you can go back to the Add an Image dialog, click on the Gallery tab at the top, and add images to the gallery you uploaded to this post. Or you can add images from the Media Library.
- Step Four: You will now see your post with a camera-and-image graphic indicating that there is a gallery in place here. Go ahead and add categories and tags, and publish your post!
- Step Five: When you click the Publish button, you’ll now have two posts on your website! The top post on the page is the newest, and
shows the three-column, two-row gallery that we just created. Personally, I like to have a gallery with a little more oomph,
which is why I don’t use this gallery option all that often, but I’ll show you how to spice this up a little bit when we talk
about plug-ins in Chapter 5.
For the most part, setting up a website has not been a hard process at all. And, best of all, the structure is free!