Working with Column View
Column view displays the contents of a window in multiple columns. Clicking a folder in one column displays the contents of that folder in the column to its right. Clicking a document or application in a column displays a preview or information about the item in the column to its right.
To display a folder’s contents:
Click the name of the folder you want to view the contents of.
The contents of the folder appear in the column to the right of the one you clicked in A.
Figure 22 A Clicking a folder name in one column displays the contents of that folder in the column to its right.
To display a document preview:
Click the icon for the document you want to preview.
One of two things happens:
- If a preview for the document is available, it appears in the column to the right of the one you clicked in, along with additional information about the file B.
- If a preview is not available, the icon for the item appears in the column to the right of the one you clicked.
Figure 23 B Selecting a document in column view can display a preview and additional information in the column to the right.
To move through the folder hierarchy:
To move through the folder hierarchy, scroll left or right in the window using the scroll bar or gestures (page <OV>):
- Scroll left to move backward and view parent folders C.
- Scroll right to move forward and view child folders.
Figure 24 C Scrolling to the left moves backward through the file hierarchy to display parent folders.
To change column width:
- Position the pointer on the divider between two columns or, if column scroll bars are displayed, on the handle at the bottom of the scroll bar between two columns.
- Press the button down and drag:
The pointer turns into a vertical line with two arrows DE.
Figure 25 D Position the pointer anywhere on a column border if scroll bars are not displayed...
Figure 26 E ...or on the column width handle at the bottom of the column if scroll bars are displayed.
- To make the column wider, drag to the right F.
- To make the column narrower, drag to the left.
Figure 27 F When you drag a border to the right, the column to the left of the border gets wider.
To view more or fewer columns:
Change the width of the window:
- To show more columns, make the window wider G.
- To show fewer columns, make the window narrower.
Figure 28 G You can view more columns by making the window wider.