Review and Pursue
If you have any problems with the review questions or the pursue prompts, turn to the book's supporting forum (www.LarryUllman.com/forums/).
- What version of MySQL are you using? If you don't know, find out now!
- What characters can be used in database, table, and column names?
- Should you treat database, table, and column names as case-sensitive or case-insensitive?
- What are the three general column types?
- What are the differences between CHAR and VARCHAR?
- How do you determine what size (in terms of subtype or length) a column should be?
- What are some of the other properties that can be assigned to columns?
- What is a primary key?
- If you're using the command-line mysql client to connect to MySQL, what username and password combination is required?
- Find the online MySQL manual for your version of MySQL. Bookmark it!
- Start thinking about what databases you may need for your projects.
- If you haven't yet changed the MySQL root user password (assuming you've installed MySQL on your own computer), use the instructions in Appendix A to do so now.