Managing User Accounts
Whether your WordPress site is a solo affair or a group effort, user accounts make it easy to see who has access to what. You can add new user accounts manually or allow prospective users to add themselves (at an account level that you have specified). You can get rid of troublesome or outdated accounts with just a few clicks.
To add a user account
- Click Users in the sidebar menu to access the list of current user accounts for your WordPress site . You’ll be taken to the Users page .
- Click Add New to add a new user. You’ll be taken to the Add New User screen .
- Enter a username, e-mail address, and password for your new user (the user will have the option of changing the password when he or she logs in). You can select whether you want to send login information (including the password you’ve chosen) to the new user by e-mail.
- Set the user’s first and last name and Web site address here, and select the new user’s role from the drop-down menu .
- Click Add New User to create the new user account. You’ll return to the Users screen, where you’ll see a confirmation message at the top of the page .
To change user roles
- On the Users page, select the check box next to the username of the user whose role you want to change.
- From the “Change role to” drop-down menu, choose the new role .
- Click the Change button when you have made your selection to apply the new role to the selected account(s). A message saying “Changed role(s)” will appear at the top of the screen .
To edit user profiles
- On the Users page, click a username to open the user’s profile .
The process of editing a user’s profile is similar to editing your own profile, but as the admin you can assign user roles in addition to setting general profile information .
- After making changes to a user’s profile, click Update User at the bottom of the screen.
A confirmation will appear at the top of the page .
To delete user accounts
- On the Users page, select the check boxes next to the name of the user(s) you wish you delete .
- From the Bulk Actions drop-down menu, select Delete . Click Apply to go to the Delete Users page.
- You can either delete all of the posts and links associated with the users you’re deleting, or you can assign them to another user, such as the admin account . Click Confirm Deletion.
Back on the Users page, you’ll see a confirmation message at the top of the screen telling you how many users were deleted .