Displaying Group Results
As mentioned, radio button groups and individual check box items each return a result. A radio button result specifies the currently selected button by its number. The result starts from the first radio button created (returning 1) and increments by one for each additional radio button in the group. Each check box returns a True if checked or a False if unchecked. Follow the steps in this section if you’d like to display and use results. On the other hand, if a worksheet’s groups or items are for display only, you can skip this section.
To display the result for a radio button group:
- Right-click any radio button in the group and choose Format Control from the contextual menu that appears.
- Select the Control tab. With the cursor in the Cell link box (or its current value selected) (Figure 6), click the worksheet cell where you’d like to display the result. The cell’s address appears in the Cell Link box.
Figure 6 Click this icon and then specify the result cell by selecting it on the worksheet. Or if you prefer, you can type the cell address in the text box.
- Click OK. All radio buttons in the group will use the same cell link to display the group’s result. Test the cell link by clicking different radio buttons. The result will be 0 (if no button is selected), 1 if the first button is selected, and so on (up to the number of buttons in the group).
To display the result for a check box item:
- Right-click the check box item for which you want to display a result and choose Format Control from the contextual menu that appears.
- Select the Control tab. With the cursor in the Cell link box (or its current value selected), click the worksheet cell where you’d like to display the result. The cell’s address appears in the Cell link box.
- Click OK.
- Repeat this process for every additional check box item in the group, specifying a different result cell for each item. You can test the cell links by clicking each check box in the group. The result will be True for a checked item and False for an unchecked item (Figure 7).
Figure 7 The current results for this group’s check boxes are shown in the cells to its left.