During a Call
While in the middle of a phone conversation, you can perform a variety of tasks. Sometimes you need to pull up the keyboard to enter numbers in response to an automated system. You can also use a speakerphone during your call, put the other caller on hold, or mute your side of the call.
If the iPhone’s screen has faded to black during your call, move it away from your face . You’ll end up on a screen with several options.
Options available while you’re in the middle of a phone call.
Actions you can take during a call include the following:
- The Mute button allows you to hear your caller while sounds coming from your end will not be broadcast to the person on the other end. The button turns blue when mute is on. Tap again to turn mute off.
- Tap the Keypad button to access the keyboard. Tap Hide Keyboard when you are done with it.
- Use the Speaker button to put the phone in speakerphone mode.
- The Add Call button allows you to add up to three more callers to your call for a total of five people. (See the task “To create a conference call” coming up in a moment.)
- Tap FaceTime to switch to a FaceTime call with the person on the other end, if they’re also using a FaceTime-enabled device (see Chapter 13 for more on using FaceTime).
- Tap the Contacts button to view, and perhaps edit, the list of your saved contacts while you are in the call (read more about the Contacts app in Chapter 13).
To create a conference call
- While on a phone call, tap the Add Call button. This puts the person on the other end on hold temporarily.
Tap the Keypad button and enter another number
tap the Contacts button and choose a contact to call.
- When the new caller answers, the Add Call button changes to say Merge Calls . Tap this button. All of you are now on the same call.
When you use the Add Call button, call a third party, and that person answers, the Add Call button changes to Merge Calls. Tap to begin your conference call.
- Repeat the previous steps to add more callers.
To remove someone from a conference call
- While in a conference call, tap the Conference banner across the top of the screen . This opens a list of people on the conference .
Conference call screen.
List of conference call participants.
- Tap the red icon to the left of the participant you wish to drop from the call.
- The red icon changes to display the word END; tap it again.
- Tap Back to return to the conference call screen.
To speak privately to one member of a conference call
- While in a conference call, tap the Conference banner on top of the screen .
- Tap the green PRIVATE button to the right of the participant you wish to speak with. Other participants will be placed on hold.
- When you’re finished, tap the Merge button to reinstate the conference.