Even if you have a lot of email accounts in the Mail app, handling email from different accounts is straightforward. You can mark emails as unread or move them into folders already created within that email account. However, you can’t use the Mail app to create new folders.
Working with email
The upper-right corner of the email screen usually has three buttons . If there aren’t any emails in your inbox or in the email folder you’re currently viewing, only the New Message (+) button appears.
Create and send email.
- New Message. Tap this button to start a new email.
- Respond. Tap this button to display a context menu with the options Reply, Reply All, and Forward.
- Delete. Tap this button to delete an email. There is no option to confirm the delete. To recover the deleted email, tap the Deleted folder in the account’s mailbox.
To create an email
Tap the New Message (+) button in the message screen. A blank email screen appears .
Creating an email
- Tap the down arrow next to your name, and tap the email account you want to use to send the email.
- Tap the text box below To, and enter an email address. Tap the plus (+) button to add more recipients.
- Tap the down arrow below Priority to change the priority setting.
- Tap the Add a Subject box, and type a subject line.
- Tap below the blue line in the message screen, and type a message.
Swipe up from the bottom of the screen to reveal the app bar and access the following options :
Email app bar
- Save draft. Tap to save a draft of the email.
- Attachments. Tap to add an attachment, and choose the location of the attachment from the Files menu. Tap the attachment and tap the Attach button.
- Copy/Paste. Tap this button to copy or paste text.
- Font. Tap this button for a context menu where you can tap a standard font size (from 8 to 36 points) and a font style (Cambria, Calibri, Consolas, Arial, Times New Roman, Tahoma, Verdana, or Georgia). Flick up and down in the menu to see more options.
- Bold. To make text bold, select some text and tap this button; or tap this button before typing.
- Italic. To make text italic, select some text and tap this button; or tap this button before typing.
- Underline. To underline text, select some text and tap this button; or tap this button before typing.
- Text color. To change the color of text, tap this button to display a context menu and then tap a color: purple, magenta, white, purple, yellow, blue, orange, red, green, or gray. You can select a color before typing, or you can highlight some text and then select a color.
- Emoticons. Tap this button, and a plethora of emoticons appear on the right panel of the screen. Flick up and down the panel to see more options. Tap an emoticon and it appears at the position of the cursor in the email.
- More. Tap the More button for the formatting options Bulleted list, Numbered list, Undo, and Redo. Tap the format you want.
When you’re finished composing the email, tap the Send button.
Tap the cancel button (it is the X in the upper-right corner of the message), and tap Save Draft to close it and return to it later.
Tap Delete Draft to delete the email.
To move an email to a folder
- In the Messages list, tap the email you want to move.
- Swipe up from the bottom of the screen to access the app bar, and tap the Move button. The entire screen fades to gray.
- In the Mail accounts panel, tap the folder you want to move the email to. The email is moved. Note that you can move the email only to a folder within that email account.
To view email attachments
You can save email attachments to folders on the Surface tablet.
- Tap an email that has an attachment. The contents of the email appear in the message section of the screen.
Tap the Download button below the attachment . An image of the file being downloaded appears.
Downloading an attachment
- Tap the image, and a context menu appears with the options Open, Open With, and Save . Tap Open to view the file in an app that can open it. Tap Open With to select an app to open the file. Tap Save to save the attachment.
Opening an attachment
To save an email attachment
- Tap an email that has an attachment, tap the attachment file, and tap Download.
- Tap the attachment file image, and tap Save.
Save the file in the prompted location.
Tap a folder.
Tap the down arrow next to Files to choose another folder on the Surface tablet.
- To give the attachment a new name, tap the text box, tap the X to delete the current file name, type a new file name, and tap Save .
Saving an attachment