Microsoft has released a web-based version of Outlook that is essentially a hub that ties together Mail, People, Calendar, Messages, and SkyDrive. It’s a cloud-based way to access information in all those accounts.
Although Outlook.com is not part of the Surface tablet, it is another way to interact with some of the apps on the Surface tablet when you’re away from the tablet. This section includes working with People, Calendar, and Mail. SkyDrive and Messages are not included since Outlook.com doesn’t add more functionality to them.
Changes made in Outlook.com to corresponding apps on the tablet will sync with the tablet. While you can manage your Microsoft email account using Oulook.com, it is very different from the traditional Outlook mail app. Since you will likely access the website from a computer, instructions in this section assume you’re using a mouse.
To access Outlook.com
- Open a web browser, type Outlook.com, and press Enter.
Type your Microsoft email account and password in the text boxes. Click the Sign In button.
Your Microsoft email account inbox appears. (Note that none of the non-Microsoft email accounts that have been added to the Mail app will be shown here.) There are also quick views: These are predefined categories for emails that contain documents or photos, emails that are flagged, and emails that contain shipping updates; these can be used to quickly sort through emails in the mailbox.
Click a quick view to see emails related to that quick view category . To create a new category, click New Category, enter a category name, and press Enter on the keyboard.
Quick view categories
- Click the down arrow next to Outlook to see shortcuts to Mail, People, Calendar, and SkyDrive .
Accessing the Outlook.com navigation bar
Shortcuts to Mail, People, Calendar, and SkyDrive
To create a new Mail folder
The first screen you see when entering Outlook.com is Mail. Tapping Mail in the navigation bar is just a shortcut back to this screen. Since you can’t create new folders in the Mail app, you will need to create them in Outlook.com so they will appear in the Mail app on the tablet. If you don’t see them immediately in the Mail app, tap the Sync button.
Click the New folder link at the bottom of the Folders heading, and type a name in the text box .
Creating a new Mail folder
- Press Enter on the keyboard. The new folder appears as the last folder in the list.
- To move the folder to another folder in your email account, drag it to the folder and release.
To add contacts in Outlook.com
Contacts that you add in Outlook.com will appear in the People app on the tablet. Accounts you have connected in the People app appear as icons in the upper-right corner of the screen.
Click the down arrow next to Outlook in the upper-left corner of the web page, and click People. A list of contacts in the People app appears in a column on the screen. You can search the list by typing a name in the search bar and clicking the Search icon .
Searching for a contact
Add more contacts to the People app from Facebook, Google, LinkedIn, or an imported file. Click the Facebook, Google, LinkedIn, or Import from File icon .
Importing contacts from other accounts
- Click the Connect button. Enter your Microsoft email and password, and click the Sign In button.
- Enter the email address and password associated with the account you’re connecting to, and click either OK, I’ll Allow It or Sign In (the options vary based on the account you’re connecting). Your contacts sync with your People contacts.
To share a calendar
One of the limitations of the Calendar app is that you can’t share a calendar with others. To do that, you’ll need to visit Outlook.com.
- Click the down arrow next to Outlook in the upper-left corner of the web page, and click Calendar. A calendar view appears.
Click the Share link at the top of the calendar. Calendars associated with the Microsoft email account appear in a drop-down menu .
Calendars you can share
- Click the calendar you want to share.
Click the Share This Calendar option.
Options for how you want to share appear .
- Click the Add People button, and type the email address of the person you want to share the calendar with. You can also tap the Favorites tab to see contacts you’ve marked as favorites in the People app; click the box next to their name to share the calendar with them.
- To choose calendar permissions for that person, click the View Details button. Click an option, and click the Add button.
- Click the Save button on the Sharing Settings screen to send the invitation.