Using the Navigation Pane
In Office 2010, the Navigation Pane replaced the Document Map. In addition to using it to quickly jump to important document sections by clicking a thumbnail or text heading, you can do the following:
The Navigation Pane.
- Rearrange document sections by dragging their headings
- Execute Finds to locate text in the document that marks the spot to which you want to go
- Search for other material, such as tables, graphics, equations, footnotes or endnotes, and reviewer comments
To open/close the Navigation Pane
- To open the Navigation Pane, click the View : Show : Navigation Pane check box (see in “Setting Display Options”), click the Home : Editing : Find icon, click the Page indicator on the status bar, or press Ctrl-F.
- To close the pane, click its close box (X), remove the check mark from the View : Show : Navigation Pane check box, or click the Page indicator again.
To go to a page or heading
- To go to a page, click the Pages tab in the Navigation Pane. Click the thumbnail of the destination page .
- To go to a heading, click the Headings tab in the Navigation Pane. In the list that appears , click the desired heading.
You can jump to any heading by clicking it.
Only paragraphs that Word identifies as headings are listed in the pane. To learn about Word styles, see Chapter 5.
To perform a text search
- Optional: To set specific search options (such as Match case or Find whole words only), click the arrow to the right of the search box and choose Options.
The Find Options dialog box appears . Set options and click OK.
You can set the same search options that appear in the expanded Find and Replace dialog box (see in “Finding and Replacing Text”).
- Type search text in the box at the top of the Navigation Pane. Word searches as you type and highlights matches in the document. The contents of the Navigation Pane depend on the selected tab:
- Headings. Any heading that contains a match is highlighted in yellow.
- Pages. Only pages that contain a match are shown; all others are hidden.
- Results. Matches are shown in context in the Navigation Pane .
Matches are presented in a scrolling list.
- To go to a match, do one of the following:
- Click a heading, thumbnail, or text result in the Navigation Pane.
- Click the up (Previous) or down (Next) icons .
- Choose Advanced Find, Replace, or Go To from the search box’s menu to open the normal Find and Replace dialog box.
You can also search for items other than text.
- To find non-text items in the current document, choose a command from the Find section of the search box’s menu : Graphics, Tables, Equations, Footnotes/Endnotes, or Comments. To navigate among the found items, click the Previous and Next icons .
- To clear the current search, click the close box (X) at the right end of the search box or press Esc.