- Reference 2.1 Understanding Apple’s Goals
- Reference 2.2 Device Management and Supervision
- Reference 2.3 Apple ID Considerations
- Reference 2.4 iCloud in Managed Environments
- Reference 2.5 Apple Deployment Programs
- Reference 2.6 Deployment Scenarios
- Exercise 2.1 Configure Your Client Mac
- Exercise 2.2 Create Apple IDs
- Exercise 2.3 Verify Administrator Apple ID Access
- Exercise 2.4 Configure Your iOS Device
Exercise 2.4 Configure Your iOS Device
Set your iOS device to have an out-of-the-box configuration.
Not everyone has a spare iOS device for testing, so make a backup of your iOS device before using it for the exercises in this guide.
Choose Settings > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings to return your iOS device to its factory default configuration.
If your iOS device is fresh out of the box, you don’t need to do anything else, and you can skip to the section, “Set up your iOS device.”
Optional: Make an iCloud backup of your production iOS device
If this iOS device is just for testing, and you do not need to create a system backup, skip to the next section, “Reset your iOS device.”
- On your iOS device, press the Home button to return to your Home screen.
- Open Settings.
- Tap iCloud.
- If you are not already signed in with iCloud, enter your personal iCloud credentials, and tap Sign In.
- If you see the “Allow iCloud to Use the Location” dialog, for the purposes of this exercise, tap Don’t Allow.
- Tap Storage & Backup.
- Tap Back Up Now.
- Wait until the iOS device backup process is completed.
- Confirm that the backup is completed by looking at the Last Backup time.
Reset your iOS device
- If the Settings app is not already open, press the Home button to return to your Home screen, and then open Settings.
- Tap General.
- Tap Reset. You may need to scroll down if Reset is not visible.
- Tap Erase All Content and Settings.
- At the confirmation dialog, tap Erase.
- At the second confirmation dialog, tap Erase.
- If your iOS device still has Find My iPad enabled, enter your Apple ID credentials, and tap Erase.
Set up your iOS device
The Setup Assistant automatically opens and walks you through the steps to set up your iOS device.
- Ensure that your iOS device is not connected to a computer.
- If necessary, turn on your iOS device.
- At the Hello screen, slide to set up the device.
- Tap your language.
- Tap your country or region.
- In the Choose a Wi-Fi Network screen, tap the name of the network. In an instructor-led environment, this may be Classroom Wireless.
- Enter the Wi-Fi password, and then tap Join.
- In the Location Services screen, tap Enable Location Services.
- In the Set Up iPad screen, tap Set Up as New iPad.
- In the Apple ID screen, tap Skip This Step.
- In the confirmation dialog, tap Skip.
- Read the Terms and Conditions, and then tap Agree.
- In the confirmation dialog, tap Agree.
- In the Create a Passcode screen, for the purposes of this exercise, tap Don’t Add Passcode.
- In the confirmation dialog, tap Continue.
- If you see the Siri screen, tap Use Siri.
- In the Diagnostics screen, tap Automatically Send.
- In the Welcome screen, tap Get Started.
In this exercise you optionally made an iCloud backup of your iOS device, reset your iOS device, and used the device Setup Assistant.