- Get to Know Your Desktop and Finder
- Get to Know Your Finder Windows
- Get to Know Your Home and its Folders
- Take Advantage of the Sidebar
- Change the View of the Finder Window
- Use the Buttons in the Finder Window
- Select Multiple Items in the Finder
- Use the Dock
- Use the Trash
- Understand the Various Disk Icons
- Understand the Various Library Folders
- Use Mac OS X Together with Mac OS 9
- Look for Contextual Menus
- Work with Keyboard Shortcuts
- Burn a CD or DVD
- Learn Simple Troubleshooting Techniques
- Learn More About Mac OS X
- What You've Learned
What You've Learned
- What all those items on the Desktop are.
- How to make sure you are at the Finder.
- What the Home folders are.
- How to use Finder windows.
- How to create new folders.
- How to add or delete folders from the Sidebar.
- How to change the views of windows and open items in those views.
- How to use all the little buttons in the Finder window Toolbar.
- How to select multiple items in a Finder window.
- How to use the Dock; how to add, delete, and rearrange items in the Dock; and what all the icons represent.
- How to throw items in the Trash and remove items from the Trash.
- What the various disk items are.
- Where on the hard disk the Home folders are located.
- What the icons on the Desktop indicate.
- What the Library folders are.
- How to use Mac OS 9 with Mac OS X.
- How to use contextual menus.
- How to work with keyboard shortcuts.
- What the modifier keys do.
- Why some commands in menus are black and some are gray.
- How to navigate the entire Desktop and Finder windows with the keyboard.
- How to navigate the Save As and Open dialog box with the keyboard.
- How to burn a CD or DVD.
- How to use simple troubleshooting techniques.
- When to restart and how to restart.
- How to force quit an application.
- How to delete a preference file.
- When and how to check the Network preferences.
- How to check for software updates.
- When to create another user to test software problems.
- What to do if you forgot your administrator password.
- How to report crashes to Apple.
- Where to learn more about Mac OS X.
- Where to find tool tips.
- How to recognize visual clues.
- How to access the Help files for Mac OS X and for applications.
- Where to find Apple's support pages.
- Where to find the .Mac Learning Center.
Shift Command N
Make a new folder
Close the active window
Command Option W
Close all open windows
Minimize the active window
Open the selected folder, document, or application