- Creating Text Frames
- Typing Text
- Selecting Text
- Moving and Deleting Text
- Using the Character Palette
- Setting the Typeface and Point Size
- Styling Text
- Setting Line and Character Spacing
- Applying Text Distortions
- Setting the Language
- Applying Paragraph Formatting
- Setting Alignment and Indents
- Inserting a Manual Indent
- Setting Paragraph Effects
- Working with Hidden Characters
- Using the Glyphs Palette
- Working with Text Flow
- Setting Text Frame General Controls
- Using the Control Palette for Text
- Using Special Text Characters
Setting Line and Character Spacing
Leading is the space between lines of type within a paragraph . (It is pronounced led-ding, which refers to the metal formerly used to set type.) Leading is specified as an absolute point size or as auto leading. The leading of this paragraph is 10.75 points.
To set the leading:
- Select the paragraph of text.
- Use the leading controls in the Character palette to enter an amount of leading .
Set the leading to Auto to have the leading automatically change to an amount based on the point size.
To set kerning:
- Select the text you want to kern, or place an insertion point between the letters.
- To use the kerning pairs in the typeface, choose Metrics from the kerning list .
Choose Optical to adjust the kerning using a visual representation of the text.
- To apply a specific kerning amount, use the kerning controls or pop-up menu to apply a numerical amount.
Tracking is similar to kerning; however, unlike kerning, which applies to letter pairs, tracking is applied to a range of letters . Tracking is very useful, because as you increase the space between the letters, you don’t lose the relative spacing that is applied by kerning.
To set tracking:
- Select the text you want to track.
- Use the tracking field controls in the Character palette to set the amount of tracking .
Baseline shift moves text up or down from the baseline, or the imaginary line that the letters sit on. Baseline shift is often applied to shift bullets or parentheses so they sit better next to text. It can also be used for special effects in display or headline text .
To set the baseline shift: