- Introduction to iCloud Photo Library
- Aug 20, 2015
- iCloud Photo Library is Apple’s grand attempt at making all your photos and videos available on any device, at any time. Jeff Carlson shows you how to work with it in this chapter from Photos for OS X and iOS: Take, edit, and share photos in the Apple photography ecosystem.
- New iOS 8 Keyboard Features: Streamlined Typing, Keyboard Swapping, Smileys for Everything
- Jul 7, 2015
- The digital keyboard in iOS devices has always been pretty functional for most purposes. But you want more, right? Lisa Spangenberg, co-author of The iPad 2 Project Book, shares the new keyboard features in iOS 8. Need a Klingon keyboard? No problem.
- May 28, 2015
- Redstone: The Charge That Ignites Minecraft
- May 18, 2015
- Cori Dusmann, author of The Minecraft Guide for Parents and co-author of A Visual Guide to Minecraft, discusses redstone, Minecraft's form of electrical power. Players use it in all sorts of ways and build endless clever devices with it, learning as they go along.
- Minecraft Modding Is Easier Than You Think
- May 14, 2015
- Lost No More: Find Friends, Family, or Missing Devices with iOS or OS X
- May 4, 2015
- Apple's iOS devices (iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch) and Macs can all broadcast their locations, making it easy to locate a friend, share your own location, or pinpoint a device that may be lost or stolen. Jeff Carlson, co-author of The Connected Apple Family: Discover the Rich Apple Ecosystem of the Mac, iPhone, iPad, and AppleTV, acts as your wayfinder to learn about these features.
- Use iOS and OS X to Keep in Touch with Distant Family Members
- Apr 28, 2015
- Dan Moren, co-author of The Connected Apple Home: Discover the Rich Apple Ecosystem of the Mac, iPhone, iPad, and AppleTV, explains how to take advantage of advanced communication features built into the latest iOS and OS X updates. Whether you want to send or receive text messages, phone calls, or photos/videos, your Apple device makes it not just possible, but easy - and free!
- 10 Things to Know Before Enabling Apple's Family Sharing
- Apr 21, 2015
- Sharing all of your music, movies, and more across the range of Apple devices owned by your family sounds like a no-brainer. Why wouldn't everyone want this option? Maybe because it's not quite as beautifully simple as it sounds. Jeff Carlson, co-author of The Connected Apple Home: Discover the Rich Apple Ecosystem of the Mac, iPhone, iPad, and AppleTV, explains 10 important points you need to consider before you decide to enroll your gang in Family Sharing.
- 5 Minecraft Tips: Get Water to Work for You, Energize Your Game with Lava, and More
- Apr 6, 2015
- John Moltz, co-author of A Visual Guide to Minecraft, shares five ways to get the most out of Minecraft. Up your home and your game by taking advantage of some features you may not have discovered.
- 10 Easy Steps to Using Minecraft in Your Class
- Jan 19, 2015
- You know how involving (and fun!) Minecraft can be for building user communities. How can you put Minecraft to work in your classroom? Colin Gallagher, author of An Educator's Guide to Using Minecraft in the Classroom: Ideas, Inspiration, and Student Projects for Teachers, provides a quick 10-step program for adding Minecraft to your teaching toolbox.
- The Connected Apple Home: Passwords and Security
- Jan 5, 2015
- The days when you could choose a pet name as a password, or use the same password for more than one Web site or service, are long over. The authors of The Connected Apple Home: Discover the Rich Apple Ecosystem of the Mac, iPhone, iPad, and AppleTV discuss how to keep your Apple devices safe, including iOS passcodes, Mac security, iCloud Keychain, 1Password, and finding a lost device.
- Ten Ways to Amaze with Your Amazon Fire Phone
- Dec 10, 2014
- Amazon and device expert Scott McNulty, author of The Amazon Fire Phone: Master Your Amazon Smartphone, gives a quick flyover of his top-10 favorite reasons to love the Amazon Fire.
- Minecraft Basics
- Nov 25, 2014
- Learn the basics of Minecraft, including crafting basics, the lay of the land, world-generated structures, and critters and creatures, in this excerpt from The Visual Guide to Minecraft: Dig into Minecraft with this (parent-approved) guide full of tips, hints, and projects!.
- Using Email with Your Amazon Fire Phone
- Nov 11, 2014
- In this chapter from The Amazon Fire Phone: Master your Amazon smartphone including Firefly, Mayday, Prime, and all the top apps, Scott McNulty shows you how to be the master of email with your Amazon Fire Phone, including how to set up and delete accounts, read and compose email, and customize your email settings.
- Minecraft in Education—Why?
- Nov 6, 2014
- If you ask teachers around the world why they use Minecraft, they might come up with a wide array of answers. Colin Gallagher lists his reasons in this chapter from Minecraft in the Classroom: Ideas, inspiration, and student projects for teachers.
- Scratching the Surface of the Google Glass Mirror API
- May 22, 2014
- If your development specialty is web design, you might wonder why you would need to be familiar with the Mirror API in order to develop apps for Google Glass. Isn't the Google Development Kit (GDK) enough? Joe Casabona, author of Web Designer's Guide to Google Glass, explores the additional features and capabilities that the Mirror API brings to the table.
- iPad and iPhone for the Birds
- Mar 4, 2014
- Are you a bird enthusiast, like Lisa L. Spangenberg, author of Meet iPhoto for iOS 6? With your iOS device and the birding apps described in this article, you can skip old-fashioned manual searching through cumbersome and silent field guides. A few taps will lead you to detailed information about the feathery fellows hanging out in your neighborhood.
- How to Produce a Virtual Drum Track with Logic Pro X
- Feb 12, 2014
- In Logic Pro X, you can speed up the process of producing drum tracks by taking advantage of the new Drummer feature along with its companion software instrument, Drum Kit Designer. In this lesson, you will produce a virtual drum track to start producing a new imaginary indie-rock song.
- The Minecraft Guide for Parents: Getting Started
- Dec 25, 2013
- Cori Dusmann covers the options for purchasing Minecraft, as well as the steps involved in downloading and installing Minecraft.
- An Introduction to Minecraft: What Parents Should Know
- Dec 19, 2013
- Minecraft has become a household name over the past couple of years. Cori Dusmann explains some of the basics of the game, exploring what makes it fascinating to players of all ages.