Students design their approach to the lesson, including the following:
- Organizing the products of the lesson (spreadsheet, poster).
- Researching careers and average salaries.
- Deciding on expenditures for their annual budget.
- Gathering and organizing their financial scenarios.
- Designing a progress-tracking poster.
- Creating a short summary report to accompany their data.
With the teacher’s guidance, the students should create a rubric to assess the outcomes of the project.
Determine the criteria for evaluation of student’s work throughout the project and explain how you will assess the parts of the project, including:
- The ability of the student pairs to work collaboratively and make effective compromises regarding household budget.
- The use of the writing process for the creation of the group’s summary document.
- The use of spreadsheets to calculate costs associated with different scenarios.
- The use of modeling tools to display the financial options.
- The design of the group’s poster.
Be sure to explain to students how you will evaluate their ability to reach the goals and objectives of the project, as judged by the final product.