Applying Effects to Layers
In addition to applying transparency to a targeted layer, you can apply other effects. The process is very similar to applying transparency:
- Target the layer to which an effect will be applied.
- Choose an effect from the Effects menu.
- In the dialog for the effect, experiment with settings as necessary.
- Use the Preview checkbox to see how the effect will look when applied to the entire layer (see Figure 9).
- Apply the effect by clicking OK in the effect dialog.
Figure 9 Previewing a drop shadow applied to an entire layer.
To edit an effect that has been applied to a layer, first target the layer. With the layer targeted, all effects applied to that layer will be accessible when you view the Appearance panel (choose Window > Appearance to display the Appearance panel). Click on the effect in the Appearance panel (see Figure 10) to open a dialog that edits the effect.
Figure 10 Click on the effect in the Appearance panel to edit the effect.