During the animation process, you may decide to replace certain elements in a project, perhaps because the footage or logo file has been updated or to encompass changes requested by a client. In this case, another artist has already animated the logo used in this bumper animation. After Effects allows multiple users to collaborate by making it easy to import a project into an existing project.
- Click the Project panel to select it.
- Choose File > Import > File.
- In the Import File dialog, navigate to the Chapter_01 Project Files folder. Open the folder Logo Animation. Select the file Logo_Animation.aep and click Open. A new folder with the same name is added to your project. It contains one composition and the source footage used. Drag these two new items into the Pre-comps folder.
- Click the disclosure triangle next to the folder Logo_Animation.aep.
- In the Timeline, click to select the layer logo start, and then press I to move to its In point.
- While holding down the Option (Alt) key, drag the composition Logo Animated onto the layer logo start. The new layer is swapped for the old layer.
- Invoke a RAM Preview. Notice that the swapped layer still preserves the animation and transition of the original. Only the contents of the layer were swapped but all applied effects and keyframes remain. This is a useful way to swap content. Choose File > Save to save your work.
Figure 43 Drag the layer from the Project panel to the Timeline while holding down the Option (Alt) key.