- Perspective Drawing
- Variable-Width Strokes
- New Bristle Brush and Other Brush Improvements
- Enhanced Strokes: Dashed-Line Adjustments, Precise Arrowheads
- Shape Builder Tool
- Multiple Artboard Enhancements
- Drawing Enhancements: Joining Paths, Select Behind, Draw Behind, Draw Inside
- Roundtrip Editing with Adobe Flash Catalyst CS5
- Symbol Enhancements
- Crisp Graphics for Web and Mobile Devices
Drawing Enhancements: Joining Paths, Select Behind, Draw Behind, Draw Inside
Illustrator CS5 offers several very useful drawing enhancements, including an improved method for joining open paths, such as a curve. By selecting multiple open paths, you can join them with a single keystroke. You can join open paths using corner joins or smooth joins. Another long-awaited feature is the ability to use a keyboard shortcut to select an individual object located behind other objects.
One of the most anticipated drawing enhancements has to be the new drawing modes. You can select drawing modes that allow you to draw behind other objects without choosing layers or setting the stacking order, or draw or place an image inside a shape, including live text (see Figure 8). The Draw Inside mode automatically creates a clipping mask from the selected object.
Figure 8 The new drawing modes in Illustrator CS5 make it much easier to work with masked objects.