- Office-Wide Feature: Microsoft Office Backstage
- Office-Wide Feature: Image Editing
- Office-Wide Feature: Paste Options
- Office-Wide Feature: Contextual Spell Checking
- Outlook Feature: Ribbon Interface
- Excel Feature: Sparklines
- Word Feature: Navigation Pane
- PowerPoint Feature: Animation Painter
- PowerPoint Feature: Web Broadcasting
- Office On the Web
Outlook Feature: Ribbon Interface
As the last holdout among the core Office applications, Outlook 2010 has ditched its menus in favor of the Ribbon interface (see Figure 6). That is, in addition to using the Ribbon in message windows as it did in Office 2007, the main Outlook window now also has the Ribbon, with the following tabs:
- File. Takes you to the Backstage, where you can register and alter the settings of email accounts, create message rules, set Outlook preferences, print, or exit the program.
- Home. Allows you to create new items and alter the settings for selected items. Its commands change, depending on the Outlook component you're currently using.
- Send/Receive. Use this tab to perform manual send/receives, create send/receive groups, or work offline.
- Folder. Primarily for the Mail component, it enables you to perform actions on entire folders rather than on individual items.
- View. Use these options to hide/show selected interface parts and panes, as well as to customize the current view.
Figure 6 A portion of the Outlook 2010 Ribbon.
You don't have to switch to the Send/Receive tab and click the Send/Receive All Folders icon to check for new mail manually. The Quick Access Toolbar contains a Send/Receive All Folders icon (F9). As in previous versions of Outlook, the accounts managed by Send/Receive All Folders is determined by settings in the Send/Receive Groups dialog box (see Figure 7).
Figure 7 To include an account in Send/Receive All Folders, you must include it in an Outlook group that has this option enabled. To define or modify groups, their membership, and their settings, click the Send/Receive Groups drop-down menu in the Send & Receive group on the Send/Receive tab, or choose Define Send/Receive Groups.