Creating a PDF Portfolio
In this lesson, you’ll create a PDF Portfolio of documents for the board meeting of a fictitious beverage company. The PDF Portfolio will include a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet, a Microsoft Word document, a Microsoft PowerPoint presentation, and several PDF files. Later, you’ll customize the PDF Portfolio with a header and a company logo.
- Start Acrobat Pro.
- In the Welcome screen, click Create PDF Portfolio.
The Create PDF Portfolio dialog box appears.
- Select Linear for the Portfolio layout.
Acrobat Pro displays a preview and description of the selected layout. The Linear layout presents documents in the order you set. You can select other layouts to see how they present documents, and then select Linear again.
- Click Add Files at the bottom of the dialog box.
- Navigate to the Lesson07 folder.
The folder contains an Excel spreadsheet, a PowerPoint presentation, a Word document, and several PDF files.
- Select the Aquo_Bottle.pdf file, and click Open (Windows) or Finish (Mac OS).
Acrobat creates and opens the Portfolio1.pdf file, with Aquo_Bottle.pdf centered in the window.
The Acrobat application window changes to display options specific to working with PDF Portfolios.
- Click Add Files in the Add Content panel in the Layout pane on the right side of the application window.
Navigate to the Lesson07 folder, and then Ctrl-click (Windows) or Command-click (Mac OS) to select the following files:
- Click Open to add the selected files to the PDF Portfolio.
When you add a file to a PDF Portfolio, a copy of the original document is included in the PDF file. Some file formats, such as TIFF, are natively supported by Acrobat and Reader. However, to see files in some formats, viewers need to have an application installed that supports the format. Which formats require supporting applications depends on the operating system the viewer is using. For example, if you include a PowerPoint presentation in your portfolio, a viewer using Windows XP must have PowerPoint installed to see it, but one using Windows Vista can view the presentation without having PowerPoint installed.
Organizing files in folders
You can add an entire folder to a PDF Portfolio, or you can combine existing files in a new folder. You’ll create a folder for the financial data.
- Select Create Folder in the Add Content panel.
- Name the new folder Financial data, and click OK.
- Click Details to open the Details pane. Acrobat displays the PDF Portfolio files in a table format, so you can see each file, in order, with its properties.
- Drag the Aquo_Fin_Ana.xls and Aquo_Fin_Data.pptx files into the new folder.
When you view a PDF Portfolio, double-click a component to preview it, and then click Open File in the upper-right corner to open the file itself.
- Choose File > Save As > PDF Portfolio. Name the PDF Portfolio Aquo Board Meeting, and click Save.
Adding descriptions to component files
You can add descriptions to files and folders in the PDF Portfolio to help viewers find the files they want.
- Click in the Description column for the Financial data folder to create an insertion point.
- Type Financial analysis spreadsheet and financial presentation in the description box.
You’ll move the folder to the top of the list to display it first in the PDF Portfolio.
- Drag the Financial Data folder to the top of the list.
- Click Layout to view the PDF Portfolio in the Linear layout again.
- Click the information button () next to the folder name. Acrobat Pro displays information about the folder, including the description.
- Close the information box to return to the main layout.