Step 1: Configure the Application Framework
Before you can use PhoneGap with Dreamweaver CS5.5, you need to download and install the software development kits for Android and iOS. You don't have to repeat this process every time you generate an app; once you've installed the SDKs on your computer, you can use them over and over to build apps.
- Installing the SDKs requires downloading them, so log onto your computer and connect to the Internet according to your usual method.
- Start Dreamweaver CS5.5 (you don't have to open a page) and choose Site > Mobile Applications > Configure Application Framework. The Configure Application Framework dialog opens.
- Click the Easy Install button to download and install the SDK files for Android. Follow the onscreen prompts to download, install, and define the path to the Android SDK files. Pay attention to where you save these files; you'll need this information shortly.
- On your Mac, use the provided link in the dialog to go to the Apple iOS Dev Center. Follow the links to download the newest available version of Xcode and the iOS SDK.
- When the download is complete, double-click the installer on your computer. Download the SDK from there, and install it on your Mac in the same way you install any applicationdouble-click on the .dmg file and accept all installation defaults. Again, notice where you save these files.
- After you've finished downloading the SDK(s), return to Dreamweaver's Configure Application Framework dialog. Browse to define paths to the SDK files you installed. When the correct links are shown in the boxes in the Configure Application Framework dialog (see Figure 4), click Save.
With the SDKs installed and connected with Dreamweaver, now you can start building apps!
Figure 4 Defining the application frameworks for Android and iOS.