Extending and Shortening Musical Selections in Adobe Audition CS6
- Apr 23, 2012
- Opening a file for editing
- Selecting a region for editing and changing its level
- Cutting, deleting, and pasting audio regions
- Cutting and pasting with multiple clipboards
- Extending and shortening musical selections
- Simultaneous mixing and pasting
- Repeating part of a waveform to create a loop
- Fading regions to reduce artifacts
Note: This excerpt is from the forthcoming book Adobe Audition CS6 Classroom in a Book, ISBN 9780321832832.
In this lesson, you’ll learn how to do the following:
- Select a portion of a waveform for editing
- Cut, copy, paste, mix, and remove silence audio. Learn to eliminate unwanted sounds
- Use multiple clipboards to assemble final audio from individual clips
- Extend and shorten pieces of music
- Add new sounds to an existing piece of music using Mix Paste
- Create loops with music files
- Fade audio regions to create smooth transitions, and remove pops and clicks
This lesson takes about 75 minutes to complete. Copy the Lesson03 folder into the Lessons folder that you created on your hard drive for these projects (or create it now), if you haven’t already done so. Don’t be concerned about modifying these files; you can always return to the original versions by copying them from the Adobe Audition CS6 Classroom in a Book DVD-ROM.
Opening a file for editing
You can open multiple files in Adobe Audition, which are stacked behind each other in the main Waveform view. Individual files are selected via the Editor panel drop-down menu.
- Choose File > Open, navigate to the Lesson03 folder, select the file Narration01, and then click Open.
- To open multiple files simultaneously, choose File > Open, and navigate to the Lesson03 folder. Select Narration02, and then Shift-click on Narration05. Four files are selected. (To select noncontiguous files, press Ctrl-click [Command-click] on each file you want to load.)
- Click Open. Audition loads the selected files.
- Click the Editor panel’s file selector drop-down menu (just above the upper left of the waveform) to see a list of the files you loaded. Click on any of these files to select it and open it in the Waveform view. Or, click Close to close the current file in the stack (that is, the one visible in the Editor panel).