- Browsing Through Your Library
- Searching for Songs
- Sorting Songs
- Playing and Pausing Songs
- Moving Around in a Song
- Options for Playing Multiple Songs
- Accessing and Playing Podcasts
- Controlling Volume
- Listening to Radio Streams
- Viewing Artwork
- Accessing and Playing Video
- Rating Songs
- Sharing Your Music
- Playing Music from Others' Libraries
- Dealing with Firewalls
One thing you may want to do when you're playing your songs is to rate them. Song ratings come in handy when you want to sort your library in order of rating (see "Sorting Songs" earlier in this chapter) or when you want to create a playlist of your favorite songs (see Chapter 5 for more about playlists). You can rate songs between 1 and 5 stars. iTunes provides a variety of ways to do this, either one song at a time or as a group.
Ways to rate a single song:
- In the My Rating column, click at the position of the number of stars you want to assign (
Figure 3.40 Click in the My Rating column to assign a rating.
- Right-click (Windows) or Control-click (Mac) in any column of the song you want to rate, choose My Rating, and then choose the number of stars you want to assign (
Figure 3.41 Or choose a rating from the contextual menu that appears when you Control-click (Mac) or right-click (Windows) a song.
- Select the song and choose File > Get Info. On the Options tab, assign a rating by clicking at the position of the number of stars you want to assign; in other words, to assign a three-star rating, click the third star (
Figure 3.42 Or rate the song on the Options tab of the information window for the song.
- To rate the current song (the one with the speaker icon next to it), click and hold the iTunes icon in the Dock (Mac;
) or right-click the iTunes icon in the system tray (Windows;
); then choose the number of stars from the My Rating submenu.
Figure 3.43 Mac users can rate the currently playing song by clicking and holding the iTunes menu in the Dock, choosing My Ratings, and selecting the desired star rating. (This is useful when iTunes is providing background music and is not the frontmost application.)
Figure 3.44 Windows users can rate the currently playing song by right-clicking the iTunes icon in the system tray, choosing My Ratings, and selecting the appropriate number of stars.
To assign the same rating to multiple songs: